
I was very intrigued by the segment about calorie restriction. Dr. Oz introduced us to Joe, who is 5'9", weighs 130, and eats 1950 calories a day. He is 51 years old. He tries to get the most nutrients possible out of each bite he eats. For instance, for breakfast he eats a bowl full of the peels of three apples, with blueberries, raspberries, and 2 ounces of walnuts. A quote from Oprah.com:
When Joe started practicing calorie restriction, he weighed 175 pounds. Since then, he's lost 45 pounds, and he says he hasn't had a cold in seven years. Though he's in his "golden years," researchers studying Joe say he has the body of a 20-year-old athlete. "I saw my blood pressure go down substantially. My heart rate went down substantially," he says. "I had more energy than I'd ever had."
The first time I heard about calorie restriction (probably six months ago) I thought it was some overly-conscious borderline anorexic way of eating. The more I have heard and read about it though, the more it makes sense and actually sounds very in-line with the word of wisdom.
Would I ever be strong enough to actually follow a plan like this? Good question. Through the hormonal ups and downs of pregnancy and nursing(for 6 1/2 straight years now) I always have periods of time where eating right is a priority and periods of time where I just don't feel strong-willed at all.
I know that I personally feel such a difference in every aspect of my health when I am eating natural food that is packed full of nutrients, rather than processed junk food. Not only does my body feel (and look) better, I am always happiest when I am eating right. I also feel like I should be teaching my kids better eating habits and helping them notice the connection between eating well and feeling well.
How about the rest of you? Have you experienced the effects of healthy eating?