Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Keepin' It Real Wednesday

The Elders were over for dinner tonight, and I was running around getting this and that, carrying a fussy baby who was ready for bed, and trying to calm my hyperactive boys. They get really crazy when the missionaries are over.

I finally got a chance to sit down to eat my own food, and I went to sit Oliver in his high chair next to Chad's chair. I slid him down into it, with the tray snapped firmly in place over his lap, with a wedged piece between his little legs. I kid you not, the thought came clearly into my head, "Strap him in" and I quickly ignored it to go eat.

I am sure you won't be surprised that about ten minutes later there was a quick rattle-rattle of the tray being kicked off by the baby, an "oh shoot!" from Chad as he tried in vain to grab him, and the cry of a baby as he slid down and fell on the wood floor. What a fine example for the Elders about "how NOT to parent your future children."

Oliver had no bumps or bruises and was fine after ten minutes of comfort from mom upstairs, but why oh why would I do such a silly thing as not take the time to strap him in?

I can't even say I forgot, like the few times I have gone to get a baby out of his carseat to find that they were never even strapped in. Have you ever done that? Doesn't your heart just leap into your throat as you picture all the roads you just drove down without your baby secured - all of the potential hazards that you just avoided?

For some reason tonight's highchair incident falls together in my mind with yesterday's bat incident and the two together stress me out. What was the bat incident, you ask? Well, Colin decided to play baseball with his next door neighbor friend yesterday, and "swung really hard" with an aluminum bat, not realizing that she was directly behind him. She came over today with a black eye on her angelic face. She (and her parents) seem to have completely forgiven Colin his accident, but let me tell you that the sight of that black eye made this mommy's heart ache.

Nice follow-up to the videos of Ollie being attacked by the ball, and the picture of Gabe tripping, don't you think?