Monday, August 17, 2009

Book Week! Day 1

Well, I am trying to limit my computer time this week (it is the week before school starts so I am trying to spend a lot of time with the kids, and I am not allowing any TV), but I can't go a whole week without blogging, so this week will be Book Week. I am going to try and feature some books that I read again and again - books that have appealed to me at different times of my life for different reasons. Hopefully they will be books that you have read too and are willing to comment on!

Day 1


One summer when I was hanging out with my cousin Olivia (yes, my very cool Gnome Sweet Gnome cousin), she was reading this book. I think I was probably twelve or so at the time. It definitely didn't look like a book I was would like (I was already very into Anne and such), but she said it was interesting and offered to loan it to me, so I gave it a chance. I can't really remember sending it back, so Uncle Buck, if you have been missing your copy for 16 years, sorry!

I was immediately hooked. It was definitely unlike any of the previous books I had read. Smart, interesting, yes, even violent. Kids who weren't in babysitter clubs, but training as soilders. Satisfying yet heartbreaking ending.

I have to admit that though I have loved several Orson Scott Card books, his are the only science fiction I have ever really tried. I'm not sure why that is.

So, if you have read it...

How old were you when you first read it?

Did it turn you on to science fiction?

Have you read it again as an adult and gained a different perspective?

Did you like one of the sequels more?

Any other science fiction that I HAVE to try?