I knew that Gabe's birthday was going to fall on a preschool day, so a couple of weeks ago I asked the mom who was going to be in charge if he could bring cupcakes to share. When Gabe heard the plan, he couldn't stop talking about it, to everyone. We came up with an appropriate boy design together, and I spent the evening before making them.
At about 9:30 on Tuesday night, I had just finished putting the final touches on the cupcakes when I sat down to check my email and found out that preschool the next day had been cancelled. My heart dropped into my stomach, and I quickly sent off an email asking if all the preschool kids wanted to come over to our house for a playdate instead, hoping that since my house wasn't far from where they were going to be for preschool, everyone would be able to come.
Well, it was super short notice obviously, so only one friend ended up coming (thank you thank you thank you Jayden!). I wanted to cry for Gabe. After he asked three of four times where everyone was, he came to the conclusion that they were probably all sick. I felt so bad for the guy. It was no one's fault that he had been disappointed in such a way, but you just want to shield your kids from let-downs like that, especially on their birthdays.
Chad had the day off and after his friend went home we took him to McDonald's. Later he went with Chad to pick the boys up from school and he took them all cupcakes (still leaving way too many cupcakes for me to eat over the last two days).
Then we took to him to Red Robin (of course!) for dinner. We had a great time and he was spunky and happy for the rest of the evening. A corn-dog, melon slices, a sundae, a balloon and presents, surrounded by people who adore him. He seemed to get over the cupcake let-down.
Guess it was a great day afterall!



