Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Blame it on Dollar Tree


When I was a young girl and had a book I didn't want to put down to go to sleep, I would sneak my book into the bathroom with me (sounds like that one Seinfeld episode, doesn't it?) and curl up on the linoleum floor next to the tub. Here I could read in full light without waking my sisters, and though there was no lock on the door, I could open up one of the drawers to block the door from opening. Whenever my mom caught me, which was quite often, I would have time to shove my book in the cupboard before letting her in. I'm sure she knew exactly what was going on.

Thanks to a book light I found yesterday for a dollar, even though I was exhausted and ready to sleep at 9 last night, I read in bed 'til past 11, snuggled next to my sleeping baby. I felt like a sneaky twelve year old, staying up past my bedtime, unable to put my page-turner down. In the morning, when the boys woke up at 6 am (thanks a lot daylight savings), I again felt like a twelve year old. A grumpy, moody, immature twelve year old who didn't want to get up for school.

It's probably a good thing that I can count on my cheap book light to break within a few days.

Do any of you parents out there have a hard time not letting a book draw you in too much? Is it hard for you to put that book down to fulfill your parental responsibilities?