I am home sick today with a sick baby, but I found a nice way to pass some of the quiet hours 'til the big boys get home from church. During general conference, the program "A Turn for Ghana" ran on KBYU and I recorded it, thinking it looked interesting. I finally got around to watching it today, and I was right - It was fascinating.
It was about Empower Playgrounds, Inc, which builds electricity generating merry-go-rounds for schools in rural Ghana. These playgrounds power portable LED lanterns that the children take home to use in study groups at night. Since they are so close to equator, the sun usually sets around 6 pm, so this extended study time is invaluable to the students. You can read about it more at the website here - there are several video blurbs you can watch if you are interested.
I love this concept and I love the fact that it finds a very direct way to include the local children and adults in providing a solution for bettering the children's education.
