Saturday, June 6, 2009

Just five minutes away

Sure, sometimes we all know each other's business too well, but this week has been a great reminder of why it is so nice to have Robert and Sabina so close. (For those of you that don't know, Robert is my brother and he and his family live just a short drive away - they would even be in our ward if they didn't attend the Spanish branch)

On Tuesday, Liam and Evan came over while Sabina assisted at Santi's field day. Field day isn't something you want to have to pay a sitter for, and it is no big deal for me to have the boys hang out with my boys for a few hours. Works out great for everyone!

On Thursday, Sabina called at around 9:30 in the morning and asked if Gabe wanted to play. When I took Gabe over, she said not to bother picking him up until I dropped Santi off from school - at 3:15! That means that all day long, it was just the baby and I (and he was particularly fussy that day, so I was very thankful) and Gabe couldn't have been happier having that much cousin time. When I dropped Santi off, Sabina told me that she had made too much dinner and persuaded me to take some home with me. Basically, she made my day. Thanks Sabina!

Later today - it is date time for Chad and I, courtesy of Sabina.

I really have a hard time letting people (other than Chad) do things for me. So the best thing is, I know that when they volunteer to do things for us, or say it is no problem to babysit every once in awhile, I know they mean it - because that is how I feel about helping them out. My kids have no idea how lucky they are to have cousins who are their best friends and aunts and uncles who will always treat them like their own.

Did you know that my mom and dad are moving to the neighborhood next to mine this July? My blessings are about to double!

10 comments:

Christie said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...rub it in! ;)

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

Can't wait. Your mom is packing about 10 boxes a day.

lindsey said...

to you, away from me... enjoy them

Sandi said...

I have a hard time letting people do things for me, besides my hubby, as well. Where does that come from?! Your parents are really the best. How fun that they will be close to most of their grandkiddos.

Chad Coleman said...

Hmmm...13 grandkids or 1 grandkid - 5 minutes away or 3 hours away and the clincher - Charlotte or Blythe - sounds like a tough decision...:)

Ashley said...

Yeah, it's always quantity over quality - or they'd be living in Zion like us.

Audra said...

Sigh... you used to come to my house to play and stay for dinner. Then you HAD to move to south Charlotte after we moved near you guys... no perks for us anymore!

And yes, I am still bitter.

em said...

i love having my family around! most days, that is;-) it's been so fun to watch brennan grow up, sharing a backyard with 7 of his cousins. did you read the post where i explained that we all share a backyard? two of cousins and their young families, a grandma, and my mom (although she just moved to hawaii). we used to call it the compound? but then the flds thing really made that sound not so good, and people really do think we are polygamists sometimes. did i spell that right? we now call it the park. anyway, my point is that i'm so happy your family is huddling close! it is the greatest:-)

Katie said...

Ashley - we aren't quite ready for Zion yet. You know that!

Audra - I was thinking about how many times I went over to your house to eat dinner or whatnot, and then I realized that we only lived that close to you for a little over a year! I can't believe that! I was at your house so many times. It really made me miss being that close to you :o( If we still lived that close we would have a weekly SYTYCD viewing, and I could steal your little girls more often.

Em - I was curious about your "compound." That is so freakin' awesome. And I am so sorry I never commented on the last book club questions. I was super busy and never got around to it.

Sabina said...

Thanks Katie for very good times and yes I'm so happy our kids are growing toghether, and that granny and grampa are moving to Charlotte.
Audra you guys have to come over more often on summer!!!