Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Keepin' It Real Wednesday

The kids and I took a spur-of-the-moment trip to the garden last week. It was raining lightly off and on, and I didn't know how long we would be able to stay, but all four of us desperately needed some time outside. Okay, I desperately needed some peaceful time outside.

I found that the sweetly soaked flowers were exactly what I needed to soothe my soul. The kids know the garden well enough to run up and down the rows while I quietly and slowly meander. With Oliver in my arms, I admired the vibrant colors brought out by the cloudy sky. My camera stayed on constantly because couldn't stop myself from taking picture after picture.




I was soon in my entraptured, "Anne" state, lost to the troubles of the world and given over to the lush and generous glories of the world. Red, purple, pink, green, all illuminated by pearly raindrops. My soul soared and my shoulders relaxed.


As I stood trying to capture the perfect image of this trumpet vine crawling off a pergola, with ants busily scrambling over it, Oliver strained to get out of my arms to the wet floor. I decided he could sit on the floor for the duration of a few shots...


And three shots was all it took to look down and find this..




Oliver snacking on freshly planted vegetation, like it was a crunchy celery stick.

It was a quick and efficient way to be snapped back into reality. You are not Anne of Green Gables, Katie Lynn. You are not on Prince Edward Island. You have three kids who need to be fed and you have a very dirty house waiting for you at home.

I scooped my baby up, brushed him off, tried to replant his snack, and told a gardener on him. She just laughed, and a little bit of that gloriousness was able to cling to my heart the rest of the day.