Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Keepin' It Real Wednesday

I surprised Colin today - when he came home from school, his brilliant mother had a little pool all set up on the patio. Cheers erupted, and after the two oldest boys hopped in, Oliver decided to join them.



After a short time, Ollie and I went inside, where I proceeded to make dinner without Gabe and Colin asking me every ten minutes if we could go to the pool. Woohoo! I pulled the curtains open so that I had a clear view of them ten feet away, just outside on our patio, and put some water on for my pasta salad. Soon their friend Morgan joined them, and laughter filled the muggy summer air. The kids were happy, and so was I. My plan was working perfectly.

I patted myself on the back. Great ten dollar purchase from Walmart. Mother-of-the-Year title earned.

I looked their way frequently and kept track of which screams were happy and which were angry, and supervised when it was needed.

Once I glanced their way to notice a strange hue to the water. An unnatural blue.

As I walked to the sliding door, a familar plastic bag laying on the ground next to the pool came into focus.

What was almost a full bag of Miracle Gro, was now an almost empty bag of Miracle Gro. My children were soaking in plant fertilizer.

Thank goodness Morgan had stepped out of the water. I didn't really want to explain to her parents why they might wanna keep on eye on her, just in case.

Commands inside were issued, time-outs were awarded, explanations were offered (I just wanted to make the water blue!!).....

And Mother-of-the-Year title was lost.

(and now you know I'm not organic. Shhhh! You still think I'm crunchy, right?)

12 comments:

lindsey said...

i suggest food coloring next time ;) but hey i guess if you want your kids to grow :) btw seth has a fertilizer he really likes. its miracle grow nursery select. it is a really good balanced fertilizer and seth says its the best you can get without being a wholesale buyer. The numbers in the corner are 20 20 20. Seth says its not that great for the lawn but it is the best for flowers and veggies. anyway funny kids and glad you got them out quickly.

Autumn said...

Ha ha, funny! Kids have NO IDEA how close they come to hospitalization sometimes!! I try to explain to my kids that the world is a wonderful place that's full of dangers and they NEED to listen to me! But alas, they're just kids and they regularly get my adrenaline up as I rush to save them :) Good times.

Audra said...

Oh no! Sounds like something that would happen to me!!! And then I would have to call poison control... which I have done!

Anyway, you got some cute pics before the catastophe!

Olivia Carter said...

ha ha ha! That is SO FUNNY! I just love keeping it real wednesday!

Lindsay Jane said...

I love every single keepin' it real post. I need to start doing those...there are way too many moments in my life when I think "seriously?"

Kelly said...

Such a good story and well told! I have called poison control a number of times myself. Sounded like a brilliant plan though. Better luck next time!

Ashley said...

I'm glad Oliver wasn't in the water!

Christie said...

Watch out for growth spurts!

em said...

SCREAM! in a good way. what a scary, but completely satisfying story. hate it when those blissful moments are enileated (did i spell that correctly?).

James said...

They're growing like weeds!

Bob, Dad and Grandpa said...

Classic story. I love it.

lindsey said...

so i don't see a post for yesterday... no slacking if you are gunna get to 22 before the 22nd... i expect to see a post about sytycd in the next hr. A sick kid is no excuse ;)