Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Keepin' It Real Wednesday

I surprised Colin today - when he came home from school, his brilliant mother had a little pool all set up on the patio. Cheers erupted, and after the two oldest boys hopped in, Oliver decided to join them.



After a short time, Ollie and I went inside, where I proceeded to make dinner without Gabe and Colin asking me every ten minutes if we could go to the pool. Woohoo! I pulled the curtains open so that I had a clear view of them ten feet away, just outside on our patio, and put some water on for my pasta salad. Soon their friend Morgan joined them, and laughter filled the muggy summer air. The kids were happy, and so was I. My plan was working perfectly.

I patted myself on the back. Great ten dollar purchase from Walmart. Mother-of-the-Year title earned.

I looked their way frequently and kept track of which screams were happy and which were angry, and supervised when it was needed.

Once I glanced their way to notice a strange hue to the water. An unnatural blue.

As I walked to the sliding door, a familar plastic bag laying on the ground next to the pool came into focus.

What was almost a full bag of Miracle Gro, was now an almost empty bag of Miracle Gro. My children were soaking in plant fertilizer.

Thank goodness Morgan had stepped out of the water. I didn't really want to explain to her parents why they might wanna keep on eye on her, just in case.

Commands inside were issued, time-outs were awarded, explanations were offered (I just wanted to make the water blue!!).....

And Mother-of-the-Year title was lost.

(and now you know I'm not organic. Shhhh! You still think I'm crunchy, right?)