Saturday, August 2, 2008

Choices

Yesterday was the beginning of tax-free weekend in North Carolina. I got the boys up early and headed straight to Target with Colin's list of required school supplies:

Kindergarten

2 – plastic pocket folders with 3 prongs
4 – 125 count boxes of tissues (plain tissues – no antiviral or lotion added!)
5 – 80 count baby wipes boxes
10 – BIG Elmer's glue stix or 20 small glue stix
1 – Kinder mat (for resting), or towel or small blanket
1 – Playdoh (please get this brand!)
1– wirebound notebook
1 – hand sanitizers
3 – 500 sheet pkg. of copier paper
2 - packs of white erasers
1 – pack of construction paper


A regular size backpack - no wheels!

And of course uniforms.

A little different than when we all went to kindergarten, right?

The one thing Colin was really excited about was the backpack. He knew that he was going to get to choose it and keep repeating - "no wheels, right Mom?"

I shouldn't have been surprised by the one he was immediately drawn to. It was camouflage - a pattern I have never purchased for him, despite it's popularity. It was on sale, held everything that he needed nicely without being too big, and he loved it, so camouflage it is. He insisted on getting a lunch pack that "matched", so it is black camouflage.

We went to Chick-Fil-A for breakfast after the shopping and I called Chad to let him know how it went. Colin excitedly interjected, "Tell Dad about the soldier backpack that I got."

Yes, in case you didn't know, my sweet sweet 5 year son is obsessed with guns and has been since he was about 2 1/2. And now he is off to conquer kindergarten with a soldier backpack. Sigh.

7 comments:

Christie said...

They do the long school supply lists here, too. Actually, I don't think it's THAT different from when I went to Kindergarten because that was in Idaho and I think they had school suppy lists there, too. Different stuff on it, though!
Too funny about the camo! I'm sure James will get a kick out of that!

James said...

If you'd like, I can arrange for Collin to get a real soldier backpack. From a real soldier, no less. I used one in school, and let me tell you, they'll hold all kinds of stuff.

Olivia Carter said...

Oh my goodness! That is SO DANG cute! You can tell him I like camo too!

Katie said...

I was totally thinking about James through the whole thing.

Turns out we have to take it back because I found a rip on one of the straps! Colin is a little heartbroken.

Kari said...

You found a rip, or you made a rip and then found it, Katie? :)

James said...

You don't take back a real soldier backpack for just a rip. You fix the rip with some 550 cord and/or some 90mph tape.

The Jeppson Bunch said...

Silas liked that bookbag too, but then we went to Wal-mart and he found one there he liked that was just blue! Your kindergarten list is HUGE! You want to know mine:

A bookbag that is big enough to hold a library book.

Then there is a list of optional items. Tissues, glue sticks, markers, crayons, hand sanitizer

I bought all of the option items, but they still were not even close to how many things you had to get! Wow! Must be a snooty language magnet school thing ;)!