Sunday, August 31, 2008

I enjoyed this post.

Click here.

Even when you have the money, how should you spend it? Do we keep a clear line drawn between needs and desires? Even with that line drawn, how many of those desires should we fulfill, even if we can afford them? How often do we think, "Well, I've earned it"?

All questions that Chad and I have to continually ask ourselves. When you are very poor, in college, and in debt, it is pretty easy to look at a $50 dinner at Carraba's and think, "How many groceries can I buy with that?" When you are no longer poor, can you still look at that $50 dollars and translate it into how many groceries it means for a family that is still in the struggling phase of their financial history? Can you look at that money and ask what it would mean to someone in a microfinance program?

Don't get me wrong, I think we should allow ourselves some little luxuries. I'm not saying that we should never go out for a sit-down meal or buy a pair of cute shoes that we have been eyeing. I just hope and pray that no matter how much money I have, I will always keep my "poor perspective." I hope that no matter what, I will never think that I "deserve" a $500 pair of jeans or a $200 a plate meal. I hope that I will always use a coupon when I can.

Obviously financial decisions are very personal and even after close examination, all of us are going to define the word "luxury" in a different way - I just hope that I always do stop and make that examination.

When it comes down to it, do we actually believe that our money is also our Heavenly Father's money, and we should use it for what he wants us to do with it?

3 comments:

Ash said...

Ugh, I really really want to comment on this - but I can't seem to form complete sentences right now! We are completely completely broke right now, so the whole "luxury" thing is very real to us right now. I'll have to write more later. Thanks for the food for thought!

Katie said...

Ashley - I remember when we were in your situation - waiting for Chad's first paycheck here, waiting for insurance to kick in, waiting for all our reimbursments for our move, and in the midst of it was Chad's birthday. Poor guy. For dinner we had free pizza from Papa John's, that we got in a welcome package. For gifts he got a new pair of jeans and a phone (which we needed for our apartment).

Kari said...

I'm totally with you on hoping I never take a thing for granted, because you're so right about it all belonging to the Lord. TJ and I are standing at the threshold of a debt-free existence for the first time in our lives. He'll be making enough money that we won't have to worry. Which worries me! Having "enough" brings with it new burdens--but they're still better than the we-just-graduated-and-are-barely-putting-food-on-the-table phase. Keep smiling, Ashley, it doesn't last forever.